Synthetic reprocutions?

Hello all,
I am going to switch from Castrol GTX to a synthetic. My question to the
digest is this: Because it is nearly impossible to drain all the "regular"
oil out of the motor, is it harmful to add the synthetic? Also, will the
remnants of the previous oil prevent the synthetic from properly bonding to
the metal in the motor? Any ideas or thoughts to this matter? The car has 64
thousand miles on it if that makes any difference to the equation....

Thanks for your thoughts,
Todd