164 Climate Control Display

Hi,

Some time ago I reported the usual problems with my 164's climate control
LCD display.  I was convinced that the problem wasn't breakdown of the LCD
because different sets of segments worked at different times.  I tried to
get the unit out of the dashboard but but failed.

Well my odometer mode/reset buttons disappeared into the dashboard so while
I had the shelf under the dash off to fix that I took the unit and had a
look at it.  It was a real pain to get out because the upper end was wedged
under the lip at the bottom of the centre vents, but with a bit of cursing
and a gouge out of the hinged radio cover panel it came out.

The unit is held together by four screws, but once removed the two halves of
the case won't separate because there are ribbon cables connecting the
circuit boards in the back of the unit to the switches and display in the
front.  They looked awkward to unplug and because my unit works apart from
the display I didn't really feel like risking breaking anything, but it was
enough to see that rather than having those little rubber strips making
contact between the circuit board and the display, it has one of those
really delicate ribbon cables made from conductive tracks on a piece of
plastic film.  This is sandwiched between the display and a piece of plastic
at one end and goes underneath the circuit board at the other end.  I tried
carefully wiggling it and it wasn't loose.  I don't have the guts to go
further unless I get hold of a replacement unit.  Sorry guys.

I had a bit of a scare when I put it back - the a/c wasn't functioning and
under automatic control it just sat with the fan off distibuting all the air
to the windscreen.  Turned out that a couple of the connectors on one of the
multiblock plugs had been pushed back and weren't making contact.  Now it
works just the same as before (expect the pattern of working segments has
changed again).

Sorry not to have a fix for this problem.

Jonathan.

- --
Jonathan Wolff <jon@domain.elided>
Programmer <jon@domain.elided>