156 Selespeed now in the buiding

Gang,

FWIW, I'm now in possession of a 156 Selespeed (Africa Grey Met./Tan Momo
Leather). I'm way behind on digests so I'm not sure if anyone has already
posted thier impressions.

Apparently we in OZ have some of the first. Alfa figured that because we had
to wait so long for the 156 we would get the early Selespeeds (sounds fair
to me). Mine was on Order since last August!!

The car seems to do all the things as promised in the promotional material
regarding the gearbox system operation.

It is very easy to get in and drive but it does take a little work to drive
it harder near the peak of performance. I must admit that since it only had
7Km on it when I got it (500Km now) I have not extended it as far as that is
concerned. The trick is the timing of the gear changes (both up and down) to
make allowance for the exact time it takes the ECU to release torque, change
gear and reapply power. This is particuarly so on the downshifts where you
have to co-ordinate with your brakeing pressure and estimated ETA at the
corner.

I have likened it to learning to drive again, in the same manner as learning
a manual after knowing an Auto.

The sequential shift also takes some familiarisation. The instinct to pull
the lever back when seaching for 2nd or 4th is hard to overcome at first. I
am tending to use the stick at them moment but I could see how the buttons
would be usefull on winding roads or the track where you were "having a go".

The motor is great too... and we can fit our picnic basket in the boot
(which would not fit in the 75).

The Selespeed ($49,950) is only $3000 more than the Twin Spark ($46,950)
here in OZ which I think is a bargain. In that $3K you get 16" Alloys (TS
has Steel rims), the Selespeed Box, Carbon Fibre look dash and a leather
steering wheel.

If anyone wants to know any more of my opinions let me know.

Regds

Bill