Old Porsche 911's

To the person who wanted to know about what to look for on a '67 912/911
that he was looking at, I can offer the following advice:

1.  Make sure the underpan is solid.  These cars are notorious for underpan
rot, which is often prohibitively expensive to repair, unless you can do
all of the work yourself.

2.  Take the car to a reputable Porsche mechanic who can do a leak down
test on the engine.  Engine rebuilds are very expensive if required.  The
parts alone can approach $3000.  Also, unless the chain tensioners have
been replaced or updated, count on having it done.  Collapsing tensioners
trash engines.

All that said, have fun with the car.  I have two of them myself and enjoy
them immensely, as I do the two Alfas that I own.

David Nolen

'74 Spider
'91 164L
'68 Porsche 911
'69 Porsche 911 (some assembly required)