Re: GTV6 Handbrake

At 02:47 PM 4/29/99 +1200, Bourke, Quentin wrote:
>GTV6 Handbrake mechanism
>
>Anyone worked on one of these?
>
>Mine has lost its ratchet - when I pull the lever it flops back to the off
>position,it does not lock on. When held on the brakes do work.
>
>Appreciate any pointers as to whats gone wrong and how to repair.

I don't know whether the GTV6 handbrake mechanism is unusual or different
(yet; knock on wood), but this sort of problem is usually caused by the
teeth in the ratchet wearing down because the driver pulls on the lever
without pushing down the release button. By pushing the release button, the
ratchet won't scrape over the teeth, thus preventing wear.
Solution 1 (for the checkbook mechanic): have a new gear lever assembly fitted
Solution 2 (for the diy mechanic with lots of spare time): build up the
teeth with weld and grind/file them down to shape.
One other possible cause is a broken spring or pushrod in the lever. You
can tell from the release button: if it doesn't come up by itself, the
spring is broken.

Hope this helps.

Best, Jaap Bouma (Netherlands)
'87 GTV6 2.5 Grand Prix