Re: Tranny noise while in neutral

In a message dated 4/28/99 9:17:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< I just noticed that my transmission (or that area back there) makes a
 rumbling sound when I put the car in neutral (5 speed).  When I engage the
 clutch the sound goes away and the car is relatively quiet (just the nice
 purr of the engine).  >>

Probably you have bearings that are getting worn, and they make noise when
unloaded.  I wouldn't run out and get it fixed any time soon--my Verde has
been making that noise for over a year (it is barely audible over the Ansa
exhaust).  There is another possibility: if you have the OE style double-disk
clutch assembly that the GTV-6 came with then that's likely your source.  I
had one and it always was very noisy in idle but never failed.  I was
planning on replacing it with the single disk Milano clutch...but car was
totaled before clutch gave out.

						Bill Sims