164 Hot starting problem

Carl,

My '91 164L does the same thing when it gets hot.  After driving my 164L
(auto), as it should be driven, sometimes the car does not restart.
When I first purcahsed the car, I freaked out.  I too was stuck and had
no idea what to do and was thinking that AAA does not tow people from
where I was located!

I've read on the digest that this may be the fault of some anti-theft
device that has gone bad around the gear selector.  I can't remember the
exactly where and what.  I just move the gear selector down past drive
then into park again.  Then I turn the ignition switch and the car fires
right up!

Now, if you have a manual 164, I do not know if this will work or not.

If the problem you are having is as I described and it is a problem with
some part of the anti-theft device, please let me know how you fix this
persisting problem.

Chip
'79 Spider
'85 GTV