re: 164 Hot starting problem

Chip,

My '91 164 is an automatic model <sigh>.  I've read about the anti-theft
device at the gear selector as a possible problem, but I've ruled that
out by trying the very thing you mention, and also attempting to start
in neutral.

Today, encouraged by several e-mails and rereading tech notes, I went
under the bonnet <g> and inspected the fuel lines.  I knew that one hose
had a small leak, so I went to the local hardware store and bought a bag
full of hose clamps.  Most of the hoses were loose to the touch, so I
removed the dreadful factory clamps and replaced them with the worm type
hose clamps.  I replaced all the connections to/from the fuel rail and
the fuel pressure regulator.  Additionally, there is a plastic hose that
come out from behind the fuel pressure regulator that was cracked, so I
replace that connection too.  I know the hot starting problem is still
there, but at least I feel better having done the work.

Carl Prochilo