Re: Giulia 105 Series Colli Wagon Question...

Comments re Colli wagons as follows:

>Does anyone on this list own a 105 series Giulia Super Colli Station Wagon?
>If so, I have a few questions about niggling details in the restoration of
>one (these questions pertain to the "full hatch" real Colli wagon, not the
>more garden variety "half hatch" panel vans bodied by Giorgetti et al. and
>used by Polizia and as Alfa Romeo Servizio vehicles in various countries in
>the late 60s and early 70s):
I recently sold a 1970 "half-hatch" which was e
x-Police & WAS a genuine conversion by Colli. I understood that the
half-hatch was stronger structurally. Colli versions used a complete new
roof, some others (see below) merely extended the exising roof.

>- -Does anybody have any idea what the rear window (the one in the "full
>hatch") is from? It certainly doesn't appear to be from an Alfa, so perhaps
>a period Fiat or other vehicle was the donor?
My extensive research with glass suppliers, including a dear old chap in
his 70's, concluded that it was a special glass.
Tailgate is somewhat rustprone, I had a grp one made, much kinder to the
hinges too - weighed about 4 kgs

>- -What sort of rear window seal rubber would work on the car (see above)?
Conventional rubber type with a filler strip, although corners are very
tight.

>- -Same question about the hatch hinges, any idea what they were taken from?
Special to this model, a different type for full & half hatch varieties

>- -Does anybody have any real ideas about the actual number produced?
Rumoured to be about 105 Colli versions, both full & half hatch - the
lowest volume 105 series?

>Colli is long since out of business, and surviving vehicles are so low in
>number I'm trying to piece together some of the facts about them at this
>point.
Production end date is unclear as I've seen late Nuovo Super versions
also, post '74?

>In addition, as far as I have been able to determine, there were very few
>other wagon variants based on the Giulia Sedan chassis. The one pictured in
>most books as a "Giulia Super Promiscua/Giardinetta" is actually a Giulia Ti
>Promiscua (wagon), alternatively called a "Giulia Ti Estate" in Britain.
>They have full windows behind the rear doors and a roofline to rear bumper
>"full hatch" in the rear.
Also by Colli, just a full glazed & trimmed version

> Then there are the myriad of Giulia Super variants
>bodied by Giorgetti as "Panel Vans" for Polizia and Servizio use-these
>examples have sheet metal welded in behind the rear doors instead of
>windows, and a roofline to trunk lid "half hatch" in the rear.
Never heard of Giorgetti conversions, see above re Colli

Many Police authorities commissioned their local body shop to convert
new Supers into Colli lookalikes

> Then there
>are the Giulia Fire Trucks used at Arese, which essentially had the rear
>doors welded up and the roof chopped right behind the front door with a flat
>glass window added behind the seats and metal plates welded inside the
>"truck" bed and floor areas for additional chassis stiffening. And, of
>course, the special Giulia "golf carts" with no doors, spartan interior,
>three rows of seats, and a lightweight roof delicately attached to the body
>(last November I saw two of these still in use as factory haulers at Arese
>for corporate "suits").
>
>Any others we haven't yet seen out there?
>
>Production of the Colli version wagons was so small that it would be absurd
>to believe that Colli had such a small batch of special glass and hinges and
>fittings made for them-but then again, when dealing with Alfas, anything is
>possible (as we all well know by now)...
See above, low volume is/was no problem to italians

Tony Stevens
Belper GB

- --
Tony Stevens    http://www.alfastop.co.uk
ALFA STOP, POBox 50, Belper DE56 1AS, UK
Tel: +44 (0)177 382 2000
Fax: +44 (0)177 382 1900