Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 4/26/99 10:16:31 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 18:58:10 -0700
 From: Gordon C Hyde <gohyde@domain.elided>
 Subject: Re: metallic medium green Spiders

 >Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 22:32:19 EDT
 >From: JHertzman@domain.elided
 >Subject: 86 Veloce metallic medium green
 >
 >In AD7-659 Roy Moreno asks:
 >
 >"My good friend has an 86 Veloce and wants to refresh the paint.  It
 >is a metallic, medium green.  Where can we find a good source of
 > paint? What brands?  What are the equivalent codes for this color?

 In AD 7-660 John H (in Raleigh) responds
 >The good news: There should be a sticker inside the trunk lid with the
 >color name and Alfa's code number for that color (AR xxx) and the
 >name of the original paint manufacturer, probably Italver Pittsburgh
 >Paints SpA of Milan, (or Italver PPG), and PPG's American auto paint
 >subsidiary, Ditzler, should be able to match it.
 >
 >Now the bad news: I am red/green colorblind, so what I see doesn't
 >count, but I have an "Alfa Romeo 1986 Color Selections" chip-chart,
 >and it gives the colors for 1986 Spiders as Sterling Silver Metallic,
 >Alfa Red, Jet Black, Arctic White, Stellar Blue Metallic, and Champaign
 >Metallic, none of which look or sound like a medium green. D'Amico &
 >Tabucchi list twenty-one different colors used on 2000 Spiders, and the
 only >green they list before 1993 is British Racing Green. In 1993 they
 pick up >Metallic Acid Green, Metallic Tropical Green, and Metallic
 Forest Green

 >So- hope that the book and the chip-chart are both wrong, and that the
 >label is still inside the trunk lid.

 I too hope the label is in the trunk of Roy's friend's car.  However,
 there is a green that is not listed in John's research.  In the mid 80's
 there was a small number of what I would call a pale "mint" green
 Spiders.  There was also a bit like a "rosewood" much like the color that
 Volvo used in the mid 80s.  I do not have the factory paint chip chart as
 John does, but the pale green model is featured in one of the brochures
 on the CarDisc.  I cannot confirm it right now, as I have unloaded the CD
 from my computer.  It is my understanding that the green, the rosewood,
 and the Champagne metallics were produced in relatively small numbers and
 perhaps in 85-87 only.  Personal experience would confirm this, as I have
 only seen a couple of the green ones, one rosewood, and three other
 champagne ones (plus my own).   #8^)

 Gordy Hyde
 1987 Champagne Spider
 Bothell WA