re: Hail damge

G'day.

>  Anyone have experience with hail damaged
> cars?On Friday 4/23/99, a pretty bad storm
> passed through the Northern VA area;which
> generated 10 minutes of /marble/golfball sized
> hail in some areas. I was in in one of

I feel for you.

We had a very major hailstorm come through Sydney less
than two weeks ago. Some hailstones were larger than
baseballs even, and the damage bill, still mounting,
is already over the AUS$1 billion mark.

Damage to many houses is quite severe, and repairs
will take many months to complete.

Cars ... one insurer is reported to be dealing with
any vehicle that has a value of less than $10,000 by
simply simply writing them off and giving the owners a
cheque on the spot. The former owner leaves the
insurer with a cheque in hand, plus a taxi voucher,
and a bag containing whatever was previously in their
car.

Of significant note to the readers of this list is the
fact that Ateco, the people who import Alfas into Oz,
were in the direct line of fire of this storm.
Apparantly their stock of Spiders was pretty well
protected, but not so for GTVs or 156s, many of which
were already sold and just awaiting delivery. Their
damage bill is estimated at over $1,000,000.

I'm led to believe that they have now placed
significant orders with Italy for body panels in order
to effect repairs to the damaged vehicles. How long
this will take is anybody's guess.

Sorry if this doesn't answer your question, but I do
feel for you nonetheless.

g.
Gary Stark              No Alfa at present :(
gstark@domain.elided  99 Holden Barina
http://redbacksWeb.com
Back down under in Sydney, Oz.