wiper mystery

I have an 86 Spider Graduate.  When attempting to operate the wipers in the
intermittent mode the wipers will continue to run without stopping maybe 6
out of 10 times.  The other times they will park.  Also when the wipers do
park or when I shut them off from the continuous mode the brake light and the
water temperature light in the instrument cluster will flash on and slowly
dim to off within about a second or so.  When the wipers run in the
intermittent mode and don't park there is a buzzing sound from the relay
under the glove compartment.  With further investigation and opening the
relay to watch it operate there was a green arc across the contacts.  I
replaced the relay to only have the same problem.

Anybody got any clues or answers?

TIA,

Wayne Abbott
Durham, North Carolina