Re: Fueling a Spider

I've had three different models of Alfas: 79 Spider, 88 Milano
Platino, 83 GTV6. Each one has had problems with full-on fuel pumps.
These symptoms were observed in Texas, Florida, and traveled states
throughout the Southeast US. My theory is that Alfa adds fuel tanks as
a sort of design afterthought and uses too-sharp bends in the plumbing
or perhaps mislocates the unleaded-only flapper thingy too far down
the fuel fill pipe. I had some success reducing the pump problem on my
Spider of years past (back when I had too much time on my hands) by
removing the little spring-loaded flap from the filler assembly.

Nowadays I just patiently hold the handle on the pump half way in and
admire the car (or pretty girls pumping gas).

- - Eric H., Clearwater, FL