fueling a spider

     Scott asked:

     I don't know if this is a California only problem, but when fueling
     both my '79 and '92 Spiders the auto shutoff mechanism kicks in almost
     instantly and repeatedly way before the tank is filled...

     Try rotating the nozzle so that the fuel has a straighter track into
     the tank. You might also try using the hold-down clamp, but on a
     medium vs a high flow position. The reason for the shutoff is that the
     nozzle senses when there is liquid back pressure. This is usually
     caused by the tank being full, or by the gas burbling into the filler
     pipe. Giving the gas a straighter shot will alleviate some of this, as
     will using a slower fill speed. Slow and steady is faster than fast
     and stop! You might also check to see if there are any restrictions in
     the filler pipe.
     Len