Alfa factories outside Italy

Hullo all,

Here's a little question which has interested me for a while.  I had =
thought that all Alfa Romeos and Alfa Suds were built and assembled in =
Italy only. But now and then one hears mention of cars built in South =
Africa (mainly 116-types I think), and then in a recent Digest, George =
from Athens mentioned Alfa Sud assembly in Greece. So, just for interest, =
would anyone like to discuss what Alfa manufacture and/or assembly =
operations existed outside Italy, for example what countries, what car =
types involved, and what level of operation (design, modify, manufacture, =
assemble)?   Sometimes in New Zealand when a second-hand Alfa purchase is =
being considered, one hears warnings about cars which were built in South =
Africa, which apparently can have certain features unique to South African =
production, making future parts procurement a possible problem. Anyway, =
I'd be interested to hear any comments on the history of overseas Alfa =
factories in general. =20
Regards,
Graham H,
New Zealand.