Re: What's wrong with this 164?

Nothing wrong with it!
It's a 1994, or later, 164 TS.  It is not a TS Super as they had colour
co-ordinated lower side panels and bumpers (fenders?) as well as diffirent
headlamps.
It is the traditional DOHC Alfa 4 but the panel along the middle of the engine,
which is different, keeps all the plug leads nice 'n tidy - 4 cylinders, eight
plug leads.
The cam drive is still chain and the tappets (vale clearances) are still
adjusted with shims.  Probably find the same gaskets fit.
Why '94 or later?  That's when they switched over to Bosch electronic ignition
and not twin distributors and coils as they had on the earlier ones.
Had one of both.
Would do 130+mph and return 35mpg (OK Imperial gallons, not US .. 4.54 lt) when
cruising at 85+ all day.  That was quite consistent consumption driving them to
Italy and back a few times from the UK.
Cheers..Gordon
1999 GTV 3.0 24V

http://members.tripod.com/alfabill/164ts.jpg