Re: Gear Oil in Giulias and Giuliettas

>In a message dated 4/22/99 3:17:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
>
><< I am under the impression that the degree of friction maintained is an
> issue >as far as the working of the synchromesh is concerned, and that
> there may be >problems of corrosion of some metals in the box, depending on
> what additives >are present in the oil used.
>  >>
>The previous post by Matt may have explained why I was unhappy with Redline
>75-90NS in my tranny.  Should have used the MT-90 that I've put in my 3000 GT
>with good success.  Was going off advice from another Alfisti.  At the local
>(Virginia Beach,VA, USA) a couple of nights ago we had a new member with a
>'57 Spider that is very similar to my '57.  He told me that he was able to
>get the factory specified Shell Dentax 90 gear lube from the local Shell Oil
>distributor.  Had to buy 5 gallons minimum, though.  I plan to order some for
>myself in a few days...no hurry, since I'm starting to pull the engine and
>tranny for rebuild.

If you want the FULL effect of the proper oil, you will need to tear the
tranny down and WASH everything thoroughly!

Valvoline used to, and I believe still does, sell a dead equivalent to the
Dentax--straight mineral 90 wt. gear oil. Also was a 35 lb. (5 gal.) pail
minimum.

The synthetic--even without any EP additives may well have too high a film
strength to work properly with the old style synchros!

Regards, Greg

>			Bill Sims
>
>			Virginia Beach, VA USA

End of alfa-digest V7 #657