Gear Oil in Giulias and Giuliettas

In a message dated 4/22/99 3:17:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< I am under the impression that the degree of friction maintained is an
 issue >as far as the working of the synchromesh is concerned, and that
 there may be >problems of corrosion of some metals in the box, depending on
 what additives >are present in the oil used.

The previous post by Matt may have explained why I was unhappy with Redline
75-90NS in my tranny.  Should have used the MT-90 that I've put in my 3000 GT
with good success.  Was going off advice from another Alfisti.  At the local
(Virginia Beach,VA, USA) a couple of nights ago we had a new member with a
'57 Spider that is very similar to my '57.  He told me that he was able to
get the factory specified Shell Dentax 90 gear lube from the local Shell Oil
distributor.  Had to buy 5 gallons minimum, though.  I plan to order some for
myself in a few days...no hurry, since I'm starting to pull the engine and
tranny for rebuild.

			Bill Sims

			Virginia Beach, VA USA