164 Door Handle problem

I am having trouble with the door handle of my wife's 1992 164L.

The best description is the exterior drivers door handle won't return to it's
normal position.    Almost if a return spring is broken.    You lift the
handle to open the door but the handle doesn't fall back into place.

This creates an  annoying situation being that the interior door lock want to
stay locked.  You pull up on the lock and it snaps back down (locking all
four doors).
You can open the window and reach out push the handle down and everything is
fine.

Anybody have a similar problem?   I know there has been discussion about door
handles breaking but I assumed it was at the pivot point.

Steven Silverstein