RE: Spider door panel question.

 =

 =

> What is the preffered backing? Masonite or pressboard
> like original, or plywood (perhaps 1/8" mahogany door skin)

I like 1/8" mahogany. It's cheap and available at home stores
like Home Depot. Before using it, I'd coat it with a layer of
polyurethane to help protect it from moisture.

For the first door panel I did I used galvanized steel! (I was
really paranoid about warped door panels at the time and wanted
something that would NEVER be effected by moisture.) Problem
with steel is that it's heavy, springy (door speakers bounce
a lot when the door is slammed), and doesn't take staples, so
fabric has to be attached with adhesive. Now I use 1/8"
paneling.

BTW there is an article "Replacing Alfa Romeo Spider Door
Panels" on the i Saluti website at:

   http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3837/panel.html

BTW when this topic came up a few years ago, Gary Valant
suggested using rigid plastic sheet as an alternative
moisture-proof material.
 =

Good luck,
 =