Re: alfa-digest V7 #647

In a message dated 4/17/99 5:59:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<  am moving near the area and will need spica system servicing and engine
 servicing (rings). Any experiences?

Dear ARV28,
Do not have a shop replace the rings alone.  Go for a piston, ring, and liner
set.  Since the Borgo rings are on the brittle side, many people pull them
off and install either Deves or Hastings rings.  I used the latter and have
no detectable blow-by or oil use after 20,000 hard miles.
To show this is not just a story by suppliers, I bought a Giulietta last
summer with 100 miles on a rebuilt engine.  The liners were not replaced,
however, during the overhaul and the blowby is so bad at 800 miles that I am
pulling the engine out tomorrow to rebuild it the way it should have been
done.  It is very little more labor and not much more $$ to do it right the
first time.

			Bill Sims