Re: alfa-digest V7 #647

In a message dated 4/17/99 5:59:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< The fuel mixture on my 74 Alfa is too rich....plugs foul out and become
 very sooty after a few hundred miles. I had Wes Ingram rebuild it so I'm
 a little confused as to why it's runnung too rich >>
John,
I've had a Spica for years and swear by it, especially after Wes Ingram built
it to match my engines mods.  Poor starting and trouble with mixture is often
blamed on bad thermostatic actuators.  I had one fail years ago (it failed
lean, causing hard starts) and replaced it with a Shankle Sure Start, which
is operated with the hand throttle, much like a choke.

But since you mention problems with your ignition switch you might have the
starting solenoid on the injector pump thinking you are starting the engine
and therefore need extra fuel all the time.   Years ago I bought a Spica
manual from one of the suppliers, but don't remember who.  Hardly ever used
it since the system has been so good since installing the Sure Start.   Maybe
someone else can supply some more info.  Meanwhile I'll see if I can locate
the manual and will e-mail the relevant pages and photos directly to you.

									Bill
Sims