RE: Must you be male to own an ALFA?

In AD7-644 Steve Morgan writes:

"Yeah, Alfa's are definitely sexist - - the passengers' seats  are designed
for a smaller person than the ones designed for drivers. - - - on the Spider
I long ago realized that Alfa had designed a "woman's" seat on the passenger
side.  The back is noticeable narrower. - - I know, the narrower Alfa seat
back doesn't mean the passenger has to be a woman, and the driver's seat is
probably as welcome a spot for one gender as the other.  But, I think I'm
right."

Careful, Steve, you are impugning the virility of Brits, Ozians, Orientals
and perhaps even prewar Italians who also steered on the right.

Giuliettas and Giulias - all 750, 101, 105, and 115 Alfas- had offset engines
and transmissions, providing appreciably more footroom, seatroom, and
elbowroom for the spirited driving of the LHD driver. On the Giuliettas this
was accompanied by a canting of the engine to allow more room for the
induction system in the small engine-bay. I did always understand that this
was giving the driver's spatial needs priority over the passenger's, but it
also usually helps the balance- a tad more engine weight on the right while a
single driver, or a heavier driver with a lighter passenger, would put a tad
more weight on the left. The poor drivers in RHD countries had to put up with
constricted pedal room, narrower seats and the rest- including less
well-balanced cars- but it wasn't sexism. Or so I was told.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.