2nd gear synchro

Ok, so I keep hearing the second gear synchros are a common problem on our
beloved Alfas.  And mine is no exception.  Many of the alfisti I have spoken
to around here have told me not to even bother with it as it will just go out
again in short order.  I thought I remembered either in a post or on one of
the web sites someone saying there was a good fix for this.  If anyone has
any info or can direct me to a shop in the NJ area (yes Im willing to break
out the checkbook on trannies, dont like to do em myself) who can do the job
right I would greatly appreciate it.  Car is running great now, fiat is being
sold to pay for the new rocker panels and carpeting.  Should be out and about
in no time now :)