re: Spider out of Storage

Thanks everyone for the on/off digest i/p on my wandering steering. I did
get it to a local shop with a knowledgeable Alfa mechanic and although not
catastrophic it will be painful. The wander is coming from the idler arm
bushing as there is a significant amount of play. All other front end
components check out Ok. I'll let you know how this repair goes.

What was really interesting was when we went on a test drive he asked "what
the hell is that vibration ... and what's that rattle in the rear?'. Since
it has driven this way since I've owned it I didn't have a clue what he was
talking about. Before we were back in the parking lot he suspected U-joints
and rear shock cushions respectively. When we did the walk around while it
was on the hoist, low and behold the U-Joints are near toast and the rear
shock rubber cushions were dried/cracked/falling off. Everything else seems
to be in order. I was impressed with his knowledge and experience but
unfortunately I just can't afford him!

Cheers,
Barry
89 Spider Quad

>As I was preparing it for storage last fall I was contemplating looking at
>the front end but decided to wait until Spring ... the car wanders at
speed,
>an inch or so of play in the steering and clearly tracks to any seen or
unseen
>road grooves.

End of alfa-digest V7 #641