Re: alfa-digest V7 #640

> On a spider it is an extremely simple matter of cutting the top and
> popping it open to get inside when the car is parked. Then they have
> ruined an $800 top to get at your $200 radio. But even on a sedan, all
> it takes is a brick through the window to very quickly get at what is
> inside.

	I wanted some thieves to slit the raggedy ol' top I used to have in
order to steal the mono radio (one channel didn't work) so I kept the
door locked at all times.  No one bothered to even try, so ended up
having to replace both the top and the radio.

> I never lock either of my cars (a spider and a Milano) when parked. One
> day the Milano was left parked outside a veteranarian (sp?) office. The
> three cars beside mine had their windows broken while someone was trying
> to get at what was inside. My car was fine, and nothing was taken.

	The radio was stolen out of our Jetta in our driveway around Christmas
time several years back.  They not only busted out the small triangular
rear window, they dented the bodywork in the process - I guess it was
hard trying to hit the window with a hammer.  The front door was
unlocked all the time.  Moral of the story is that experienced thieves
check the door locks....

> Don't even get me started on car alarms.

	Yep, never did care for them.

	Bruce