Re: 164 has LSD???

On Apr 14, 11:21pm, Jess Liao wrote:

> Does 164LS transmission contains LSD for the driving wheels?
>
> My driving impression tells me it doesn't. Hope I am wrong.

I don't know a lot about the 164, so I'm going out on a limb here.  But in
general, FWD cars do not employ an LSD in the conventional sense.  A normal RWD
LSD is much too sudden in its locking action, and would cause a huge kick back
through the steering.  The only kind of front LSD I know of is a Torsen type,
which uses a special silicone-based fluid whose viscosity depends on the shear
force applied.  When the rotational speeds of the two sides differ
substantially (one wheel is spinning), the liquid becomes very viscous and
locks up.  Otherwise, it allows small speed differences for normal cornering.
 The transition is very gradual, so there is no locking jolt.  I believe the
unit also contains the gears of a conventional diff, and the fluid merely
performs the locking function.  These are also used as a center differential in
some 4-wheel drives.

As far as I know, the 164 does not have a Torsen diff, but I could be wrong.
 The only FWD car I have heard of with an ordinary LSD was a BMC Mini modified
for rallying years ago.  Supposedly it was also fitted with an enormous
steering wheel so the driver could keep hold of it when it did kick back!  It
is possible that you could get away with a standard LSD with the increased
isolation of a power-steered car, but I don't believe it is done.

Dave J.
1982 GTV6

- --