Re: lcd clock in late 164s

Digest Members Especially 164 LS owners.
My LCD -- clock / air conditioning fan/ outside air temp/ and temp setting (to
be exact) exhibits some of the same symptoms only intermittently. Sometimes I
have almost all of the display, sometimes I have none of it and often I only
have 1/3 of the segments lit.

This occurs enough for me to suspect the electrical connection to (or the
connector on the lcd). Being a check book mechanic, I've not yet had time to
have someone look at this.

Has anyone tried disconnectiong and cleaning the connector or adding somekind of
brace that would cause some pressure on the connector to improve contact?
Sometimes when I push on the dash board underneath the lcd panel or press
heavily on the center lcd illumination switch, additional segments light up
while the pressure is applied.

One last thing, this all seems temperature related, on cold days the display is
better??

Best Wishes,
Bernie Bennett

Luke Kowalski wrote:

> ross wrote:
> >The clock in my 164LS (1995) lights up, but it's garbage.   Can it be
> >fixed?  If not, where can I get a replacement?
>
> This came up before, I think. Unfortunately, the replacement is $2300 US,
> unless you go through a recycler. This is a common problem ("they all do
> that"). Use your ears for the fan speed, your tactile sense for the
> temperature, ... stuff deleted ....
> LCDs are still expensive, and i am not sure that they can be fixed.

Maybe the lcd's themselves are ok and it's the connection?bjb