Re: New York Auto Show

Went to the NY Auto Show yesterday, my annual pilgrimage to Motor Mecca. Lots
of nice new models and concept cars. If any of you read car mags, you no
doubt have seen the Cadillac EVOQ. They are actually going into production
with this! No rear view mirrors- rear facing cameras are mounted where the
side mirrors would go, and the image is displayed in the upper part of the
center console-no head turning. The Dodge Charger concept was great, and I'd
be willing to bet they build it. Chrysler really has a lot of guts and
foresight. The new Datsun Z wasn't displayed, but they had pictures of it and
it is UGLY! Ditto the new Celica. Aston displayed an RHD 12 cylinder DB7,
truly a beautiful machine. The new Mercedes S Class was also displayed. I sat
in the car and looked at the dash. Folks, it would be easier to master the
Catechism of the Catholic Church than figure out this maze of display screens
and controls. I wonder how the old biddys who buy these things will learn how
to work all of this. Star of the show for me was the Audi TT. A 180 horse,
turbocharged 4, with the latest Motronic FI. It weighs about 2600 lbs, very
light in today's air bagged, safety caged world. Options include 17" wheels
with big rubber. Boy, are the aftermarket guys going to have a field day with
this one!!!  And it's a 2+2, which means even I can own one.
  Speaking of which, with the exception of a Ferrari 355 displayed by an
aftermarket audio company, there was not a single car representing Italy.
While they're much better today, the years of meatball fuel injection
systems, once-a-month throttle cable replacement, rust, and too many trips to
the dealer have come a cropper. If any make from the FIAT group comes back,
they're going to have be prepared to wait until they prove the bad old days
are over for good, like Jaguar is doing.  And that will take time, and money.

  These shows are really effective sales tools. You head back to your car,
rapidly aging, dated, problems past, present and future, and you start
scratching out numbers on the backs of envelopes when you get home!

- -Don