Re: Brembo caliper rebuild kits

On Apr 6,  2:35pm, Jaap Bouma wrote:

> Piston seals are identical, the dust covers for the ATE appear to  be
> designed to sit further from the brake pad. The Brembo pistons have a
> groove in the piston for the dust cover right at the edge of the piston. I
> suspect that the ATE pistons have a groove about 3 or 4 millimeter (1/8
> inch) away from the edge.

Thanks for the details.  I will take a look at my calipers and dust covers to
compare.

> No, but the chrome plating of one of the pistons was damaged by a few (very
> small) rustspots near the dust cover.

OK.  I suppose it might be possible to polish them out, especially since this
part of the piston is not critical for sealing.

> I just used the piston seals. Fortunately, these are the bits that are most
> likely to wear.

True, but the dust covers will undoubtedly wear out eventually.  They can also
be accidentally torn.  If someone does find a source for these, _please_ post
it for those of us with Brembo calipers!  Meanwhile, I will be very careful
when I dismantle my calipers so I can reuse the seals.

Thanks for the info!

Dave J.
1982 GTV6 (calipers languishing on shelf in my garage)

- --