Re: Koni VS Bilstein

On Apr 5, 12:47pm, John Christensen wrote:

> The cheapest place I've found for shocks is RD Enterprises in San Diego
> (http://www.shox.com).  I've ordered several sets over the years and have
> always received excellent service and great prices.

I have bought Bilstein shocks from RD Enterprises, although not for an Alfa.  I
was very satisfied with my purchase and the service I received, and their price
was well below most of the competition.  I bought at a group purchase price
negotiated by a member of another mailing list (for 'mericun muscle cars which
shall remain nameless).  This list has the advantage that all the members have
essentially the same car, so it is common for such negotiated prices to be set
up in exchange for a guaranteed minimum order size (usually 10 to 20).
 However, RD Enterprises went beyond that by agreeing a price which has
remained in effect for over a year, valid to any member of said list.  I think
this clearly demonstrates their commitment to getting the best price for their
customers.  Usual disclaimers, no financial interest, just a satisfied
customer.

> Regarding red vs. yellow Konis (a.k.a. Sports), I think the rough ride
> reputation of the latter is based more on misconception than reality.  I've
> run both the reds and yellows on my cars and in my experience the yellows
> ride just fine on the street and work well with performance springs.

I recall that Koni sells adjustable shocks, both in single and
double-adjustable (separate compression and rebound) models.  Is this the
difference between the reds and yellows, or are the adjustable versions
different again?  If they are adjustable, it should simply be a matter of
making sure that the range includes the appropriate stiffness to match your
springs.  The double-adjustables tend to be very pricey however.

Dave J.
1982 GTV6

- --