Wedges and clips

I wonder how many Digesti besides myself have torn down Alfa engines
only to find timing chain tensioner tensioner wedges or upper chain lock
link hardware (clips, plates) living contentedly in the lower regions of
the oil pan?  I've certainly seen it more than once.  On a slightly
related note, an old timer at a machine shop in San Bernardino once
related to me a story about losing a fastener into the crancase of a
bulldozer.  After examining all the bolts and effort necessary to remove
the sump he went home.  The following morning he chained the whole unit
up to his overhead crane, flipped it over and manipilated it until it
fell back out.  Don't try this at home.

Ian