Re: alfa-digest V7 #613 - Engine Overhaul

In a message dated 4/4/99 10:38:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< From: "W.B. Peale" <peale@domain.elided>
 Subject: RE: Removing Pistons

 As I am now looking at oil consumption in the area of 1qt/150mi with a
 recent valve job, I THINK it might be time to renew my rings.  This seems
 like a crude but reasonable in-car strategy for the job, although until now
 I've only heard about the technique involving head AND sump removal, which I
 think allows replacement of rod bearings and pin bushings.  Any thoughts on
 the viablilty of this approach?  Would the pin removal/reinstall from above
 really work?  Is it usually necessary to change out the rod bearings and pin
 bushings?

 Thanks,
 W. B. Peale
 69 GT Veloce >>

	Do it right and at least look at the bearings.  You might be able to
change the pistons and liners from the top, but I would not want to.  I might
try in on a brand new overhaul if it was obvious there was a broken ring on
one cylinder or something like that.
	The pan is a pain to get out with the engine in the car and if the
front and rear main bearings are bad the engine needs to come out anyway.
Plus if it comes out you can renew the rear main seal to keep more oil inside
the engine.
	Pulling the engine is not that hard and the engine can be cleaned and
scrubbed so much easier if taken clear apart.  Just clean off a space on your
garage floor, patio, living room or dorm room.  A friend rebuilt his engine
in the bathtub.
	You can rent a cherry picker or buy one for about $200.  Plus engine
stands can be had for under $50.
	Do it right and pull the engine.
Ciao,
Russ Neely