Flywheels

	Interesting discussion on flywheels. does anybody know offhand how much
the stock cast-iron flywheel weighs?
	My stock flywheel has been lightened and balanced with the rest of the
rotating assembly. Recommendation at the time was the aluminum flywheels
should only be used on race cars. (still true). Lightening the stock
flywheel used to be the only convenient "in-between".
	I understand that the process actually enhances durability (the
machining acts to stress relieve and reducing the weight also reduces
the centrifugal force) (sounds good anyway)
	I've never had a problem but always think about it around 7000 rpm. (I
sometimes avoid stepping on cracks also.)

	I would call your attention to the fact that Ranier-Hurtienne has
another option available. Listed as a "special" flywheel, 20% lighter
than original.
	 A steel performance flywheel is now available. More practical than
aluminum, Safer than cast. This one gets my vote for street/sport use.
	Next time i need a flywheel.....

Norm