164LS Assistance in Spain

All -
I got the following mail this morning and it sounds as if the digest is
just what this fellow needs:

Gordy

respond to sasssv@domain.elided

My name is Stephen Sass, and I purchased one of the last 164 LS's
in the US market in Dec 1995.  I hope you do not mind my mailing you,
but I saw your comments on the 164 on a website, and I have some
questions that I hope any of you may be able to answer.  I'm a Naval
Aviator over in Spain and Currently deployed to Italy for operation you
know what, so I am having the following repairs done remotely, and I
would like your comments if you feel they can be of any assistance.

     I'm pleased with my vehicle, but I have had some of the historical
problems that I have seen elsewhere:  I needed a new Muffler and Exhaust
at 32K, I needed a new radiator at 35k and now I am in the middle of a
timing belt or chain problem / valve job (45k).  (Also have the minor
nusnaces of the LED display and the Driver Seat heater inop).  What
should the price be on a repair like this?
     My wife had been driving the car when it just died.  She pulled
over and tried restarting a few times before calling a tow.  I have
heard that restarting on a timing problem amplifies the damage. Is this
True?  So far, the mechs have pulled the engine, and I have a quote for
a good deal of money.  I do trust their work, but are there any points
you could offer to help smarten me up?

     As I live in Spain, getting Dealer Alfa Service is not so much of a
problem.  But all of these repairs are killing me.  I am trying to get
ARDONA in Orlando to reimburse me for the work, as Alfa Romeo  Madrid
won't cover / honor the US warranty.  Any help in pointing me to an
Official over there, or anywhere in the States?

     The 164 continues to turn heads over in Europe, and now that I'm in
Alfa Heaven in Italy, I see many of them daily:  the 146, 155, and 156 I
think could easilly sell in the US vs. a 300 series B'mer, Volvo or
Audi's, I don't understand why they pulled out of the market.  The new
Spider and 166 are really top notch and great looking cars.  If you
write back, I'll tell you about the time I was caught driving down a
street in Seville, Spain that was so narrow, I only had 1 inch clearance
on each side (mirrors in)!
<<
                           Thanks in advance, S.V. Sass

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]