Re: alfa-digest V7 #605 - Alfa Modifications

owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< "Scott Johnson" <scott@domain.elided>
 Subject: Alfas and mods

 Modifying a street alfa is something of a Holy War around here. Many of
 the old timers and purists (myself included) believe that it was in
 Alfa's nature to provide you with maximum performance within the
 compromises of a street car. This is not a Chevy Lumina... most of the
 "easy" hotrodding (exhaust, intake, suspension) was done at the factory,
 and tinkering with that will just screw it up.

<snip>

However, there is a subset of folk who think people like me are full of
hooey. And if you plan on racing the car even casually, then cutting .5
seconds off your time with a modification makes a very real difference.  >>

Scott,
	You are not totally full of hooey.  The Centerline springs and yellow
Konis make my 82 Alfa Spider ride like an english sports car, but it does
handle better, except on uneven pavement.  It is also necessary to stop to
traverse bump strips.  It is however, at least 0.5 seconds quicker in any
autocross (it runs SCCA Street Prepared) and in getting to the grocery.  I
think the stance is much improved.  And I like my Mustang wheels.
	You are full of hooey on the topic of exhaust.  The 75 thru 88 spider
exhaust falls in the Lumina category.  The factory even went back to the pre
74 exhaust with the Motronic engine in 89.  In addition to 74 exhaust
manifolds, my 82 is running Motronic 10:1 pistons on the street quite
satisfactorily, thank you.  The factory did it, I followed their lead and I
am happy with the engine.   I also put set screws in the crankshaft as the
alunimum plugs were not the best idea the factory ever had.
	In my extended opinion Alfa did make some sever mistakes.  The
recommended tire pressures for the mid 80's spiders were too low and handling
suffered.  In fact my wife (girl friend at the time) test drove a new 88
spider, but did not like it.  She bought a Toyota MR-2, which was also 2/3
the price of the spider.  I finally got her to sell it and she is driving an
87 spider veloce.  Her tire pressures are 34 front and 32 rear for the street.
	I think the stock Alfa exhaust is entirely too quiet.  I replaced the
rear muffler with a straight pipe on our 91 spider and it sounds much better.
 Still too quiet for me, but my wife likes it.
	So you are only partly full of hooey.  The stock Alfa is a wonderful
machine.  Vastly superior to anything other vehicle.  However, there are
combinations of parts that are better than others.  And there are some things
Alfa did wrong, not many, but some.  Mixing and matching stock Alfa parts is
no sin, in my opinion.  And if an owner wants to drive a Street Prepared Alfa
on the street and wants to wear a kidney belt to do it, why complain?  It is
not you who has to suffer the back pain of a stiff suspension.
	In my opinion the only Sprint Speciale that looks good is the flared
and de chromed one Tom Zat built a few years ago.  I also love his 164
station wagon with a Taurus roof.  And I think the 164 is WRONG wheel drive.
So there....
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City