Re: 164 steering rack removal

As I have said, I did get the power steering rack out from my 164S.  Several
people have asked how it was done.

There is a heat shield at the front of the rack which uses smaller nuts that
bolt to extensions of the studs.  These two can be undone from the top using a
long extension and a universal joint.  I used the two standard extensions, one
wobble extension and a universal joint.....all 1/2 " drive.  The main nuts in
the frontr can allso be done the same way.  The back becomes a bit more
difficult.  The rear passenger side has an upper nut which holds a clip which
holds one of the power steering hoses in place.  That nut and the main one
below it can be retrieved using the extension method as described above.  I
added another wobble extension to make the "bend".  I reccommend having a
friend with you.  I did not and it took me many "trips" from on top to down
under the car.  A helper would have saved many trips if not all.  The driver
side rear nut will take some time.  It is a matter of finding a comfortable
position below the car and using a open end and box wrench.  You will end up
undoing these about 1/16" of a turn at a time.  Once you get all the bolts
off, you may have to pry the rack off the mount.  I pulled the rack out from
the drivers side as suggested by Alfa Romeo (CarDisc).  Make sure none of the
power steering hoses are running through the power steering lines (as mine
were) before removing the rack.

Next project (coming soon) - Possible rebuild of current rack.  It is the 164S
rack with "spring return".

Mark Manzonelli
1991 164S

End of alfa-digest V7 #605