Re: 164 steering rack removal

Mark,

Two week ago, I was asking the same question.
I thought my 92 164S rack was leaking.   Thnaks to Doug Gould who
told me to check hose.  I checked it again  last weekend and found
the high pressure hose leaking. The hose has no clamp and come
with metal pipes on both ends.

If you real need to remove the rack, here is Doug's original message:

The front two bolts can be removed from the top, but you need a 3 foot
socket extension. You should find that there is just enough room to slide
it
down in front of the firewall and get to the bolts. You may also need a
universal joint on the socket (can't remember).

The job is a lot easier if you can get a hoist. Otherwise get the car as
high as you can.

The rear two bolts are a problem and you will end up loosening them 1/16
of
a turn at a time with an open ender. Getting to these will be easier if
you
drop the rear of the subframe, which will give maybe another inch of
clearance.

The rack carriers are a tight fit to the subframe with spigots that fit
into
the subframe. You will probably need a lever to get it out and
potentially
to get it back in again. When you come to replace it you will also need
undo the steering on the inside to make alignment easier.

You should replace the rack bushes while you do this.

Are you sure that you really need to replace it? Mine is still fine after
200,000km. Leaks are often due to leaks at the hose connections and power
steering conditioner helps smooth it all out.

Karl Chen