Alfas and mods

Modifying a street alfa is something of a Holy War around here. Many of
the old timers and purists (myself included) believe that it was in
Alfa's nature to provide you with maximum performance within the
compromises of a street car. This is not a Chevy Lumina... most of the
"easy" hotrodding (exhaust, intake, suspension) was done at the factory,
and tinkering with that will just screw it up.

That leaves you with the serious stuff... porting and polishing, custom
cams, high compression pistons, custom suspension setups, etc. All of it
is expensive, all of it requires serious disassembly of the car, and all
of it will compromise its streetability.

However, there is a subset of folk who think people like me are full of
hooey. And if you plan on racing the car even casually, then cutting .5
seconds off your time with a modification makes a very real difference.

But, IMHO, getting to the grocery store .5 seconds ahead of me isn't
that much of an accomplishment.

My opinions only!

Scott Johnson
Alfa Spider FAQ Author