Re: alfa-digest V7 #604 - chopped flywheels

In a message dated 4/1/99 1:52:55 AM Central Standard Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< From: "JMazlumian" <jmazl@domain.elided>
 Subject: re: Flywheels

<snip>

 You may give up some possible idle stability, but, is there any gain?  I'm
 thinking on all the other extra weight spinning around at engine speeds in
 all transaxle cars.  May be shifting is "lighter", but any other gain?
 Waiting for the enlightening answer.

 Jorge
 Redlands, CA
 e-mail:  jmazl@domain.elided
 Home page: http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/2035/index.html

	Engine will wind up and down quicker.  Thus the car will accelerate quicker
and stop quicker, which is an advantage for racing.  Once you get rolling you
need a flywheel not at all other than as someplace to mount the clutch and as
a method to keep the engine running if you stay too long in neutral when
shifting.  Sprint cars like the "Outlaw" dirt cars run no flywheel or
transmission.  They have only an in/out box to disconnect the engine so the
car can be rolled around.  That is why they are all push started and why, when
they spin out, they cannot restart and the yellow flag comes out.
	The big disadvantage on the street is launching the car from a stoplight.
You almost have to wrap it up and dump it to spin the tires off the line.
	I have an Alfetta sedan (currently in storage) with the front flywheel
chopped and rebalanced.  I thought about reducing the weight of the rear
flywheel also, but I am glad I did not.  It is cammed and Webbered and with
the chopped flywheel, both a joy and a job to drive on the street.  It was
extremely responsive to throttle input.  And it died a lot at stop lights,
especially if you tried to drive off slow like when a cop car was sitting next
to you at the light.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City