RE: Wheel Mounting Problems

Bob Abhalter wrote:

> Last fall I bought a nice set of Cromodoro "Turbina" wheels
> for my '69 1750 Spider... Just one problem - my wheel studs
> are too short since they were intended to mount steel wheels
> only... I think the answer is a set of the longer wheel studs
> (and matching lugnuts) used on later spiders... What do I need
> to buy (length and size or part number)... =

You can get the correct wheel studs from Centerline (and I
believe IAP). They should be ca. 48mm long--just tell the
supplier they're for the turbina alloys. In terms of lugnuts,
I got 16 acorn nuts from APE for ca. $12. Much better than
other aftermarket prices, though the nuts required wire-brushing
to remove rust and shine them up. Otherwise, Alfa Ricambi sells
new chromed lug nuts for about $4 each, though they're a bit long
for the turbina wheels.

In replacing the wheel studs, I did the back studs on a '71
Berlina. It had short and reverse thread studs. When I changed
them, I got rid of the reverse threads also. I've never done
the front studs without changing the whole spindle. I think
you can just replace the rotor in front also.

BTW, it REALLY helps to have a press to do the studs. I bought
one from Harbor Freight for ca. $100 and it's very useful--it's
even good for black walnuts.

Good luck,

Rich Hirsch
'87 Milano
'78 Spider
'67 Duetto  (Substituted rear end and front spindles from a '80
            Spider for Dunlop braking system)
'66 Sprint GTV   (Substituted rear end and front spindles from
            a '72 GTV for degraded braking system)
Editor, i Saluti, St Louis AROC
Website: http://www.catenary.com/victor/isaluti