Solution to 164LS water temp. too hot in stop and go traffic

I didn't get enough reply to confirm my 94 164LS 160F water
temp. on highway is normal or not.

Although temp. is rather low on highway, it gets hot in
stop and go traffic.  In Winter it gets to about 210F
which is OK. But in Summer, it can go close to 230F
when outside air temp. is 100F.

I decided to solve this problem, first I observed when
stopped and idling, the low speed fan come up when water
temp. is close to 200F.  It only remain on for about
10 seconds. Eventually temp. will keep going up to until
high speed fan kicks in too.  But even high speed fan has
tendency doing only short burst.  I also noticed that
94 164LS changed fan thermo switch to bottom of radiator.
Maybe this has something to do with it.

My solution is installing an extra adjustable thermostatic
fan switch.  I bought it at PepBoy's, it is made by Hayden.
It turns out working great, water temp. is kept around 180F
at current time.  I think in summer it will hold temp. close
to 200F at stop and go traffic.   I adjusted switch to come up
at 170F with low speed fan on.  It only has one speed fan control
to fan motor.  But I don't let it control the motor.
In stead, I am letting it control the alfa original low speed fan
relay.  I have to buy another relay to do this since
the alfa original relay is turn on by negative(-) wire.
Even the alfa fan motor itself is turn on by negative(-) connection.
But Hayden switch when turned on supplying positive(+) to fan
motor.  So I let Hayden turn on another relay which in turn
connect negative(-) to turn on alfa's original low speed fan relay.

So it takes three relays to trigger low speed fan from
Hayden's thermo fan control.  It is rather convoluted
but works great.

Karl Chen, San Jose, CA, USA
92 164S
94 164LS

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

End of alfa-digest V7 #604