Window regulators

I have just spent 4 hours (two nights) trying to replace the winder on my 74
spider.  Is there a trick to this or what?  The cable seems to short to go
around the pulleys.  I realize that the top one is for adjusting the tightness
of the cable and that one is slacked all the way off.  It seems like I am at
least 2 inches off.  I tried taking one winding off the drum and it was too
loose.  To make matters worse the cable jumped the drum and twisted itself
into a mess, ruining the drum assembly.  I'd like to know how it is possible
that I can rebuild a 2 liter motor but can't replace this miserable little
part.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dick Giambra
Rochester, N.Y.
74 Spider
88 Verde