Vintage Alfa Racer

I started vintage racing in 1957.  Back then we didn't even know it was
vintage car racing.  Started up again in 1978 with a stock 750F and then
a Lotus 61E Formula Ford.

Like "speed limits in the sky", vintage racing depends on your resources
(Washington talk for $$$$), how bad you need to "win" and how good you
are.

I have run with VARA, HRG, ASRA, HMSA, SCCA, etc.  No experience with
CSRG.  "Winning" is important with all groups but more so with SCCA and
VARA.  I retired from vintage racing after almost 40 years primarily
because of resources.  I got tired of running my trusty 750F, a  four
times HMSA - Monterey Historics entrant,  with 88 bhp against an Alfa
friend with ~ 125 bhp.  I am a decent driver but can't give away 50%
power.

Go into vintage racing with the idea to have fun, test yourself and keep
the shiny side up.  Pick the Alfa that you like and feel comfortable
in.  And can afford.  I prefer an open car like a Spider.  Closed cars
may be safer.  No more fun than a real race car (no doors) like the
Lotus.  You can watch the wheels jump up and down, when you can see the
tread pattern you know that the tire is locked up and look out when the
tires look real shiny.

If you want to go for the prestige events like Monterey, the Wine
Festival and the recent Coronado races try a 750/101 Giulietta or 101
Giulia Spider.  And maybe CSRG events.  For training try a "run what ya'
brung" Alfa in VARA  - probably the most cost effective (Washington for
cheapest) way to go is to buy a previously raced car.

You are probably innudated with cars for sale but a friend, Mark
Guinther of Portello Works, has an ex-VARA racer for sale.  I knew the
original owner and it is a decent car.

Chow,

Dave Mericle
Leucadia, CA BEACH-N-RIDES