Oils and additives

Mike Freeman asked about oil additives a couple of days ago (Yes, I am that
far back logged), thus keeping alive the lubricant/oil thread.  By this time
my 2 cents must be worth only 1.5, due to inflation and a tardy resonse.

A couple of years ago a rep from an oil company talked in front of our Alfa
club (ARO So California).  I think it was Alisyn, but I may be wrong.  There
are two points related to the current topic(s) that I want to mention.

First - He had results of testing of several fully synthetic oils, including
Mobil 1, Cstrol, Quaker State, and one other, I think it was Penzoil but don't
quote me.

Other than his brand, the best of the bunch looked like Mobil 1.  The rep even
said so, and he mantioned that they had been at it the longest.  This was a
couple of years ago, and we all know things change with time.  In a competitve
field, no one wants to be last for long.

Second - the whole subject of oil additives was addressed during this meeting.
Seems that once an oil is "packaged" the whole additive package is considered
as far as what each compound does.  It was mentioned that it would be possible
that some alleged miracle jungle juice could actually work against some of the
stuff that was put in by a particular refinery.

Lovely thought, isn't it.  You put in miracle friction eliminator, only to
find out that the viscosity of the oil is now permanently at glue, or worse.
I have also been told, several times in the last millenium, that most oil
additives in a can are there for the profit margin of the maker/marketer, and
that they have little to do with really making the oil work better.  Could
always ask the question, "If this mystery juice is so wonderful, why don't the
refineries all use it as part of their oil additive package?"

Oh well,
For now
Jay Negrin
ARO Southern California