Speaker cutouts on an '84 spider

Hello,

I am looking to replace the speakers on my '84 Spider.  The PO installed
5 1/4" speakers in the standard cutouts in the kick panels.  The speakers
are only large enough to be attached on one side of the speaker.  It looks
to me like the cutout is for 6 1/2" speakers.  However, when I went to order
some new ones the sales person informed me that their database thinks my car
can only take 5 1/4" speakers.  Am I right or are they, or is it a non
standard size?

Thanks,
Jeff
'84 Spider (w/ crummy radio)