Re: Milano suspension noises

At 11:06 PM 3/29/99 -0800, Chip Mutza wrote:
>Recently I replaced the old, worn, partially gone caster bushings on my
>89 Milano with the poly ones from IAP. Ever since, the front right
>suspension has been making a creaking sounds when ever moved.

I had a similar experience. Turned out to be the drop link on the anti-roll
(sway?) bar.

>With the bushings: how tight should the bolt on the inside of the engine
>compart. be? It seems like you could tighten and tighten it forever and
>the bushings just keep getting squashed and squashed.

The big washer between the rubber and the nut should hit a raised edge
where the flats of the castor rod end. If you had some corrosion on the
washer or the castor rod, you might have pushed the washer past this point,
but that doesn't seem likely. Mind you, the rubbers do require a lot of
compressing, which is obvious when you compare the shape and size of the
old rubbers and the PU ones. Once the nut on the rod is fully tightened,
the diameter of the rubber should be slightly larger than the diameter of
the washer.

>clunking from the rear when pulling away in 1st gear, the rattling
>shifter, the grinding when attempting to downshift into 2nd... etc. I

The rattling shifter should be quite easy to cure.
See http://192.82.208.21/sikand_mti/clone/ratshift.html

Best, Jaap Bouma (Netherlands)
'87 GTV6 2.5 Grand Prix