Re: alfa-digest V7 #593

In a message dated 3/28/99 7:01:50 PM Central Standard Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Lgowin@domain.elided
 Subject: Re:Sypder, DHC, Cabriolet, etc

 I've been told (don't know if its true or not) that there are criteria that
 define a car as a drophead coupe, roadster, and cabriolet.  One of the points
 had to do with the mounting of the windscreen.  A car with a removable
 windscreen (a Spridget can be removed with 4 bolts) is considered a roadster.
 A car with an integrated screen is a drophead coupe.  I think a cabriolet is
 another name for a drophead coupe.  Or maybe its more expensive.  I dunno.
 Anyone?... Anyone?... Something D-O-O Economics?... Anyone?

 Lawrence Gowin
 71 GTV Fixed Head Coupe
 87 Milano Fixed Head Coupe

	You are basically on track up to the Milano, which IS NOT a coupe.  It is a
sedan, Berlina or 4 door.  Coupes have two doors and limited rear seat area,
generally.
      In addition to less substantial windshields, roadsters had side
curtains, which I consider to be more definitive.  Convertibles (American) or
Drop Head (I think of Jaguar) or cabriolets (American and European) had roll
up side windows.  At least that is how Ford defined the terms in the 30's when
convertibles replaced roadsters.  Some Ford coupes appeared to be a "drop
head" but in looks only.  Witness the 32 Ford "fixed head" Sport Coupe with
fixed windshield, roll up windows and Landau bars.
     Head is also more British for what we Mericans call a top.  Find an
English Alfa repair manual.  My Haynes Alfetta manual has a page translating
terms on page 7.  It translates English to American.  A hood is a soft top, a
boot is a trunk and a bonnet is a hood.  We truly are two countries separated
by a common language.
	I want to build a 27 T Hot Rod track style roadster with an ALFA 2 liter
(litre ?) !
Ciao,
Russ Neely