re: Duetto spring advice

David Ziglin wrote:
>I know that the subject of performance suspension parts have been discussed
>often on the list...
>I need to replace the saggers on my '66 Spider.  The car is not a dedicated
>racer but will see hot lap track time and wheel to wheel racing of the
>Vintage kind - i.e., it's a track and road car.

Ward & Deane doesn't have a web site.  Their phone number (in Nevada) is
702-898-1270.  I have Ward & Deane springs on my 72 GTV, which is also a
street-legal track car.  I've been extremely happy with the springs and
have recommended them to a number of people.  They transformed the handling
of my car, which was an understeering pig with worn out stock springs.

A couple of considerations, however: 1) W&D springs have 4 times the rate
of the stock springs--they are very stiff!  Compare to about 1.5x stock for
Shankle Sport or 2x stock for Shankle Super Sport.  If you plan to do a lot
of street driving, you may not be happy with this much spring.  2) W&D
springs make the front end of the car very low to the ground.  It's low
enough that you have to be careful on bumpy roads, and too low to get a
jack, oil drain pan, or much of anything else underneath.

>Is there any good reason to install a rear anti roll bar?  Right now the
>car seems to handle quite well - neutral.  If it ain't broke ..........

This is a controversial subject.  A lot of people--maybe most--who are
racing 105 chassis cars use no rear bar.   This was the classic setup for
years, and the combination of a soft rear and hard front contributed to the
famous front-wheel-in-the-air posture when cornering.  Other people prefer
a stiffer rear.  I have a 16 mm rear bar on my GTV with the stock bar on
the front.  I'm very happy with this setup, which to me feels basically
neutral but allows the rear to move out when I want it to.  Some people who
have tried my car like the balance, but other think it's awful.

To a large extent, these things are a matter of taste, depending on the
kind of handling you prefer and where you drive.  If you like the Duetto
the way it is, it makes sense to leave it.

Dana Loomis