Re: alfa-digest V7 #590

Todd,
	Where do you live that sells octane ratings like those?  The best gas I have
seen at gas stations is 91, maybe 92.  I run Texaco 91 in my 91 spider and in
my 82 spider with motronic (91 model) pistons.  Have had no problems.
	I am running Red Line Oil 20 - 50 synthetic in my 91 and 82 spiders, but they
seen only about 2500 miles per year.  Red Line is $8 per quart, so not the
choice for a daily driver.
	I run Castrol 20-50 in my 87 Spider Veloce daily driver and in my daughter's
Milano.  I used to run it in everything.  I do notice that on a long road
trip, oil pressure will start to drop after 75 miles or when the oil gets up
to full temperature.  Not much drop, but I see no drop at all with Synthetic.
	I will probably try either Castrol Syntec or Mobil 1 when my case of Red Line
runs out.  Regular Castrol is fine for a daily driver that rarely sees long
road trips in the summer.
	Years ago I ran Pennzoil in everything.  Still do in my S-10 Blazer.  I think
all name brands are of good quality and maintanence is more important than
brand.  I do prefer a Pennsylvania based oil, but am not sure why.  Maybe
something I read or heard.
	I am also running Red Line Oil in all transmissions and rear ends.  The cost
is not so important as the amount (2 quarts in the trans, 1 1/2 for the rear
end) is less.  Shifting is much improved.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 3/26/99 5:34:04 PM Central Standard Time, owner-alfa-